The American Look: Sportswear, Fashion and the Image of Women in 1930s and 1940s New York
$33.00 (as of January 17, 2019, 11:03 pm) & FREE Shipping. Details
Drawing on a lovely array of sources, from fashion magazines such as Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue to department store records and surviving garments, The American Look presents a wealthy and multi-faceted exploration of the improvement of a distinct New York fashion style within the 1930s and 1940s.
Tracing the expansion of the sportswear fashion industry from its functional origins to its adoption as casual wear for all occasions by career women and housewives alike, creator Rebecca Arnold shows how New York’s emergent style within the interwar period was once both dynamic and up to date–just like the town itself. She argues that its essence was once expressive of the American ideal of athletic, long-limbed figures and related to theories of body image, gender and class; that its designers such as Claire McCardell, Clare Potter and Tina Leser, were themselves embodiments of the up to date, active woman; and that its style was once connected not just to ideals of patriotism and democracy, but to notions of cleanliness and hygiene.
Beautifully illustrated, The American Look offers a unique insight into fashion, modernity and ideas of Americanness within the twentieth century.
|Number Of Items|
|Number Of Pages|
- kate spade new york: all in good taste
$27.50(as of January 17, 2019, 10:03 pm) & FREE Shipping. DetailsSave $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout.Your coupon will be applied at amazon checkout. Details
Coupons available for this offerView more couponskate spade new york: all in good tasteSave $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on offered by Amazon.com. Enter code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout.
- Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) December 23, 2018.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com (look for "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party
sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even
if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
- Offer does not apply to digital content or subscriptions.
- Offer good while supplies last.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
- Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
- Offer limited to one per customer and account.
- Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $5.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
- Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- Enter promo code GIFTBOOK18 at checkout to qualify.
- More Info